A program to support translations of Russian literature is announced
The Institute for Literary Translation has announced a grant aided programme targeted at publishers who are willing to translate and publish in a foreign language a work written in Russian and other languages spoken in the Russian Federation.
Grants will be awarded within the federal program “Culture of Russia (2012-2018)”.
Grants are to cover translation (partially or in full) of a work of fiction that meets the following criteria:
- Importance and relevance of the translation into a foreign language
- Originality and freshness of the literary work in Russian
- Prizes received from Russian national competitions recognizing the best literary works (Bolshaya Kniga (Big Book), Russian Booker, Malaya Rodina (Little Homeland), The Art of Books, Debut, and others) and international literary awards
- New translations of Russian classics.
Applications will be accepted: January 1, 2013 – May 31, 2013
Applications will be reviewed: April 1, 2013 - June 30, 2013
The book should be published during 2013-2014.
All applications will be reviewed by the Institute for Literary Translation’s and approved by Rospechat’s Expert Commission. If a decision is made to support a proposal, a publisher will be contacted by the Institute’s representative.
To submit a proposal for the competition, a publisher must present the following documents:
- Completed proposal form
- Copy of the agreement to acquire the rights to use the work
- Copy of the agreement to acquire the rights to translate the work
- Detailed budget estimate for the publication
- Brief rationale / explanation for choosing the work for translation
- Informational material about the publishing house
- Translator’s resume.
For more details on the translation grant please consult the Institute for Literary Translation’s web-site.
Translation grants programme is supported by the Federal Agency for Press and Mass Communication (Rospechat’)